Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kitchen Crafty


The past two days I have tried a few very interesting recipes I have gathered from other blogs and I thought I would share. The first was a Blueberry Basil Cream Cheese Cupcake from Bakerella I thought they were really good, but .I don't think I let the Cream Cheese soften enough before making the cream cheese filling (resulting in a lumpy mess). Next time I want to add a little more lemon to the recipe. After this creation I starting scouring the web for other blueberry basil creations and came up with some other very interesting ideas:


Drinkers:
Tequila, blueberry and basil, oh my?
For you rum lovers (me), surprise your guest with a twist on a classic.
Here is that lemon I was talking about (scroll to the bottom).

Foodies:
Maybe drinking isn't your thing, but eatin' chicken is!

Dessert:
Take your pick on ice cream, sorbet (just substitute blueberries) or granita

I should note that I have never tried any of these other recipes, but they all look so delightful I just might. This led me to think of other things that would be good. A recent visit to the Highland Bakery had us sampling some tasty Ricotta Pancakes (so moist and delicate) topped with a Blueberry Basil Sauce would be awesome. You will see my second creation gave me this idea of a Blueberry Basil salad dressing!



My second crafty kitchen creation was this peach and mint infused vinegar. This is a labor of love and I recommend if trying this recipe you do a double or even triple size batch. The end result is far less then I expected. Also, invest in a good sieve and cheesecloth. It was well worth the effort in the end and made a delicious, tangy salad dressing (mixed it with olive oil, garlic and dijon). I will definitely be experimenting with more vinegars. These make a really unique host gift paired with a neatly printed recipe card. For some really pretty packaging ideas check out this blog or this pic. Here is a cool bottle available for purchase




Lastly I attempted to make Wasabi Almonds. They were okay, but I think they could use some more wasabi and some other flavors. I think next time I will double the wasabi and add some ginger, onion, garlic and soy sauce. I will report back on the second attempt!


1 comment:

  1. The almonds were delightful. Jason and I polished off the can in less than 2 days. The salad with the Peach Vinaigrette was sumptuous. The cupcakes were okay... they were good, but certainly not the best thing ever. You should have made oatmeal cookies... Next time.

    ReplyDelete