Monday, May 24, 2010

Bo Kaap








Shelley and Leeman went to Table Mountain while Ulrich and I opted for something less touristy and went to Bo Kaap (Upper or lower Cape- can't remember). A little history on Bo Kaap or the former Malay Quarters:

The "Bo Kaap" or "Cape Malay Quarter" belongs to the culturally and historically most interesting parts of Cape Town. Many of the inhabitants are decendants of the people from Indonesia (Batavia), Sri Lanka, India and Malaysia, who were captured in the 17th and 18th century and enslaved by the Dutch-East Indian Trading Company. Many were Mulims and others were converted to Islam by the Cape Muslim community.

The Cape Malays and their religious leaders played an important role in the development of the language and culture of the Cape colony. The Afrikaans language evolved as a language of its own through a simplification of Dutch in order for the slaves to be able to communicate with the Dutch and amongst each others, since they all came from different countries and cultures. Educated Muslims were the first to write texts in Afrikaans.

The town is known for their brightly colored homes, which make for nice pictures. Our first stop was to a market that had spices galore. Ulrich wanted me to try a Malay Samosa so I could compare it to a Durban Samosa. We found some at a busy little corner market and it was so good. They have a sweet onion flavor and I went back to get some more for later. We walked around the very small town exploring in stores and taking photographs. I bought Stephen a Nelson Mandela magnet made of beads at a very cute store. There was also a really cool artsy store which I could not afford, but offered inspiration. After Bo Kaap we went to Signal Hill an overlook sort of place with breathtaking views. We had limited time, but managed to take some cool pics and rush back to the flat. We had an appointment for a township tour in Hout Bay and we were greeted by our guide, Africa (you think this is his real name?). Our tour guide did not bother me, but Carisa loathed him. He was definitely on a political soapbox preaching away and not exactly giving us a tour. We would walk 5 steps and then stop to listen to Africa, then walk 5 more steps and listen to more of Africa. I guess I did not mind because I wasn't listening to anything he said. Instead I was snapping away at the little kids. They were so cute and loved the camera. We had to cut it short because his little girl cut her head pretty bad. Luckily she was okay and luckily we did not have to endure any more of Africa, the man not the country (ha ha ha). Once home we had to pack our bags for Namibia. We are stopping by the Brandt's home to drop off any excess baggage till we return to Capetown in a week. Mrs. Brandt made us a delicious lasagna. To me it was more like a moussaka because it was more creamy then tomatoey. Leeman and I made a salad with candied pecans, and Carisa made the most delicious pimento cheese. Only after we left the Brandt's and got home did I remember I have not seen my passport, hmmmm?! Mr. Brandt was kind enough to go through my bag and find the missing passport, but this means waking up at 5am to retrieve it. Sorry guys!

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying your trip. I hope I can do this trip some day.

    ReplyDelete