Monday, July 26, 2010

Beets: A Superfood





I had my first experience making pasta this past weekend, and now I like to imagine never buying pasta again. It was so much fun and weirdly gratifying. It took a little extra effort, but come meal time it was so worth it. I got the pasta machine at bed, bath & beyond and used my 20% off coupon, and the total was $30. I made ravioli and I did not splurge and get the ravioli maker (another $18) rather I rolled the egg pasta very thin and used a cookie cutter to cut out squares. I wanted to make sure I liked the pasta machine before buying more gadgets. I have been dying to make Beet Ravioli with Poppy Seed Butter since I bookmarked it 2 years ago. I read through all the reviews and decided I liked what most of the reviewers suggested, so I used very little ricotta and substituted goat cheese instead. I also seasoned to taste and added lemon zest to the filling. For the poppy seed butter I added pecans for a little texture. I paired this with an almond and zucchini side, which everyone seemed to like. Overall I really liked the dish, but it was a love/ hate thing because the Poppy Seed Butter made it delicious and yet I hated the idea of having excess butter on my plate. At the end of the meal we fought over the last few butter drenched ravioli.

The next morning we had so much leftover filling Leeman suggested we use it with poached eggs. While he was out of town I practiced poaching eggs, so I was eager to show off my new skills. We did not have english muffins, so I took some whole wheat pita bread and cut out circles with a cookie cutter. I heated the filling and poached some eggs. I served this with a side of arugula stacked everything, shaved a little parmesan and sprinkled it with poppy seeds. It was quite tasty, but I think I prefer fried green tomatoes or something with a little more weight and substance with a poached egg.

2 comments:

  1. I just got my Bed Bath and Beyond coupon the other day in the mail...will be buying one of those pasta makers (or Bloomies is have HUGE sales....maybe I can get one there???)
    The pictures made me want to bite into that meal...and then you described it and I know I'm going to bit into it because Im going to make it!!!
    I like (said in the Borat accent).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had beets before you made me the beet pineapple salad in Namibia. Now I eat them all the time! Thanks for introducing me to this super food! Your pictures are beautiful and look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete